Call for a Free Phone Consultation at (612) 339-1024

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Should I Plead Guilty to Possession of a Small Amount of Marijuana?

The possession of a small amount of marijuana in Minnesota is only a petty misdemeanor offense. Although a petty misdemeanor is not technically considered a crime, a record of a conviction for the offense is subject to public viewing at any courthouse computer terminal in the State of Minnesota. A small amount of marijuana is defined as weighing 42.5 grams or less.

Should you plead guilty to the offense and subject your past to public scrutiny or hire an attorney to protect your reputation and your future? My advice is to hire an attorney. An experienced Minnesota criminal lawyer may be able to keep a conviction off your record. You will then be eligible to file for an expungement of any trace of the offense, including police and courthouse records.

Call Minnesota criminal defense attorney Robert J. Shane for a free phone consultation or visit his web site for more criminal defense tips at

How to Quickly Reinstate Full Driving Privileges after a MN DWI

If your driver's license has been revoked in Minnesota after a DWI offense, there is a way to quickly reinstate full Class D driving privileges.

A first time alcohol offense in Minnesota with an alcohol concentration under .16 requires a 90 day loss of driving privileges. If you were under 21, the revocation period is increased to 180 days. A second alcohol offense within 10 years or a third offense on record requires a one year loss of driving privileges.

A first time alcohol offense with an alcohol concentration above .16 requires a one year loss of driving privileges. The revocation period increases to two years for a second offense within ten years or for the third offense on record.

How can you quickly reinstate full driving privileges under any of these circumstances? It's simple, participate in Minnesota's Ignition Interlock Device Program. You will need to (1) pass a DWI knowledge test, (2) pay the $680.00 reinstatement fee, (3) apply for a new Class D driver's license, (4) sign an Ignition Interlock Participation Agreement, (5) submit proof of insurance, and (6) if required, sign a Special Review Awareness form. More information about the program can be found at

For more tips on Minnesota DWI law and defenses, call Minneapolis criminal defense attorney Robert J. Shane at (612) 339-1024 or visit his web site at

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Child Abuse Defense Attorney

If you have been charged in Minnesota with the crime of child abuse, you have been accused of one of the most horrific crimes imaginable. The jury will automatically presume you are guilty and will sympathize with the child. You will need to prove your innocence even though the entire burden of proof remains with the prosecution. Often times it will be necessary for you to testify in your defense in order to establish that your character does not fit the profile of a child abuser.

You will need an experienced child abuse defense attorney to defend you against these allegations. I recently defended a client charged with six counts of child abuse in Kanabec County, Minnesota, including felony malicious punishment of a child and assault in the third degree. I am proud to report that the jury returned a verdict on March 7, 2012 of not guilty to all four counts of child abuse. The case was no more than a witch hunt by the prosecution to convict my client at all costs, including tamping with the physical evidence in the case. We asserted the defense that an alternative perpetrator committed the crime and raised enough reasonable doubt to win an acquittal for my client.

If you or someone you know has been charged with child abuse, call Minnesota criminal defense attorney Robert J. Shane for a free phone consultation at (612) 339-1024 or visit his website for more information at